Did you know waist size for women in the US is just under 38 inches?
While waist trainers have only recently become more popular, they’ve been around since the 1800s. They originally were used primarily for looks, in that by squeezing into them, the women would get the desired hourglass shape.
These days the best waist trainers have become more versatile and are used in conjunction with proper diet and exercise to achieve the desired waist to hip ratio. Today’s waist trainers can be still be used for formal events, but they can also be worn for longer periods, as well as during exercise.
So why have waist trainers made such a comeback?
Benefits of Women’s Waist Trainers
While the waist trainers are great for looks, there are also some other primary and secondary benefits of waist trainers.
- They can help with posture and prevent slouching for long periods.
- They’re a constant reminder to sit up straight, preventing rounding of the back.
- Provides a slimming look that can boost self-esteem and confidence.
- Helps women who have recently given birth with postpartum recovery.
- It can help with appetite suppression which could lead to consuming fewer calories.
The waist trainer corsets of yesterday are still around, but the waist trainers of today have made a return. Between healthy eating, maintaining an active lifestyle, and the use of waist trainers, a woman can reduce the size of her waist. This can not only prevent future health issues but provide a slimmer waist with an enhanced looking figure.
A larger waistline could be an indicator that you’re carrying around excess bodyfat which could put you at higher risk for obesity-related health issues.
However, the size of your waist isn’t the only indicator of your overall health, but it does indicate whether you may be at risk for health issues. There is a simple calculation you can do, to see where your risk level falls.
Waist to Height Ratio
When you figure out your waist to height ratio, threshold indicators show what level of risk you’re at when it comes to being healthy or unhealthy. To get this percentage, divide your waist in inches by your height, and then multiply by 100.
Below is a chart showing your level of risk.
|Waist to Height Ratio||Risk Level|
To use an example if your a woman that is 5’3″ (average height of US Woman) with a waist size of 30″ ( below the US average) your waist to height ratio is 47%. This would put you in a healthy weight category.
In this post, I’ll discuss what the best waist trainer for everyday use is, along with what features to look for, so you can make an informed decision. After doing some research into the available waist trainers on the market, taking into account what customers are saying about them, I’ve compiled a list of the best women’s waist trainers for everyday use and weight loss.
If you want to cut to the chase here is a quick list for reference.
- Yianna Latex Waist Trainer
- Lady Slim by NuvoFit
- Nebility Women’s’ Waist Trainer (Editor’s Choice)
- Gaodi Waist Trainer Vest
- Loday Waist Trainer
Best Waist Trainer Corset for Everyday Use
1) YIANNA Underbust Latex Waist Trainer Corsets Hourglass Body Shaper – This under burst latex waist trainer for women has three hook rows plus eye closure so you can adjust it as you see fit. It also 9-spiral steel boned for optimal waist cincher, providing you the correct posture. With three layers of fabric with the inner layer being 96% cotton, a mid-layer of 100% latex, and an outer layer of nylon, lycra, and spandex. Customers are saying “it’s the best waist trainer they’ve worn!”
Features and Benefits
- A mesh breathable latex waist trainer design ensures this waist trainer is breathable and cotton lining helps it absorb sweat.
- 3 hook-and-eye closures for flexible sizing so you can use it in comfort.
- Available in 10 different sizes and colors.
Lady Slim by NuvoFit
2) Lady Slim Latex Waist Trainer – This high-quality waist cincher will reduce up to three inches from your waist instantly. The flexible boning provides the structure that allows the latex cincher to help you correct your posture. It also helps to avoid the cincher from rolling up when you seat or move. The 3 hook rows allow for size adjustment when you need more pressure. Customers are saying “they loved wearing it after the first day!”
Features and Benefits
- By reducing your waist size immediately, it’s effective and creates a beautiful shape.
- The waist cincher is supported with two reinforced columns of hook and eye closures down the center of the abdomen. This posture correcting piece supports your spine and can help reduce back pain.
- It’s comfortable. The latex waist cincher rises to just below the breast so you can wear your favorite bra with this piece. Perfectly pairing form and function, the latex girdle compresses without sacrificing comfort.
Nebility (Editor’s Choice)
3) Nebility Women Waist Trainer Corset – Versatility comes to mind with this waist trainer corset. Ideal for workouts like yoga, running, or at the gym. The waist trainer helps promote blood flow, increase your body temperature, producing more sweat, to help give you that hourglass look and feel. It features a unique U-shaped push-up bust cut out to make sure the girls aren’t uncomfortably compressed. Customers are saying “it will make your waist look thinner, it’s comfortable, and you can wear it all day.”
Features and Benefits
- A 3-row-hook closure makes it very easy to put on & take off. Easy adjustments and extra security with the zipper.
- Two adjustable shoulder straps ensure you can make the adjustments you need for comfort and usage.
- The 4 steel bones offer extra support on the tummy/back and reduce your waistline. They help to relieve back pain and improve your posture so you can look and feel beautiful.
4) Gaodi Women Waist Trainer Vest Slim Corset – This Gaodi waist trainer is different from the ones above in that it’s made of sweat-inducing neoprene. It offers the same bust enhancement and shaping of the aforementioned models while promoting blood flow.
Features and Benefits
- The material is flexible/stretchy enough that you’ll still get a full range of motion while at the gym or running errands. The flexibility makes it one of the best waist trainers for everyday use!
- No hook and closures, making it super quick to put on and take off.
- Bust cut-out providing curves in all the right places.
- Neoprene is great for sauna and steam room usage.
5) Loday Waist Trainer Corset – If affordability is a high priority this women’s waist trainer can fit your budget. This beautiful underbust corset incorporates the essentials of effective waist training with quality construction and beautiful materials. It can be used all day no matter if you’re working out, running errands, or on the go. It makes you look inches smaller and pounds thinner instantly. Customers are saying, “they love how they look, even several hours after they take it off!”
Features and Benefits
- Budget-friendly makes it easy on the purse
- The durable zipper helps you put on quickly and it hides your tummy to makes it one of the best waist trainers for under your clothes.
- The 3 rows of hooks closure for more adjustment when necessary.
- The waist trainer is made of high quality and stretchy fabric, making it comfortable to wear all day.
Buying Guide for Women’s Waist Trainer
There are a variety of waist trainers available on the market, and they have different features that you need to be aware of before moving forward. Here’s a comprehensive list of what to look for.
Sizing of Waist Trainer
Getting the proper size will be key to how effective and comfortable the trainer will be. There’s a misperception that all trainers should be super skinny and uncomfortable. This is far from what you should be thinking about when selecting one.
As a matter of fact, if you choose one too small, you can end up hurting yourself. The smartest thing you can do is take your measurements and follow the manufactures guide for selecting a size. The measurements should also include your torso length (height).
Keep in mind, just because you may be tall, it doesn’t always mean you have a long torso, and vice versa, if you’re short, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have a short torso. So always measure before buying! If the length is off, you won’t get the results you want, it won’t be comfortable, and the desire to wear it will fall off. Additionally, if you put it on, and your waist isn’t about an inch smaller or worse yet, it’s bigger, this means the trainer is adding bulk.
Types of Waist Trainer Closures
There are three main types of corset closure. The hook and eye, the zipper, and velcro. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some of the corsets above have two closure methods. It’s common to have a zipper on the outside of an inner layer, protecting the clothing from possibly getting snagged up on the hook and eye closures.
The hook and eye along with the velcro tend to be a bit easier to adjust, preventing the need for a different sized corset.
The zipper is quick and easy and provides equal compression too. The zipper fronts also tend to make these corsets one of the better waist trainers to wear under your clothes. Regardless, choose a closure method that suits your needs.
Waist Trainer Comfort
As previously mentioned, the idea of getting a super tight corset, that is super uncomfortable is gone. The waist trainers above are made of different materials, including cotton, latex, neoprene, spandex, and more.
Some people prefer a different material on their body, so being stuck with one kind of corset is no longer the stigma. Each type of material has preferred cleaning methods, so keep this in mind too.
The boning is one of the rigid parts of a corset that forms its frame and gives it rigidity. The purpose of the boning in a corset varies slightly from era to era. Generally, the cinching/shaping properties of corsetry put strain onto the fabric from which the corset is made.
The rigid the corset, the more proper posture the corset will promote. While some women prefer the boning to help with back pain and posture, others might lean towards a more compression fit that some of the velcro and zipper waist trainers provide.
Affordability of Waist Trainers
The good thing about these corsets I’ve selected is they are all very affordable and have thousands of rave reviews. With such ratings from so many people, I’m sure you can find one that fits your budget.
When it comes to pricing, figure out what features you want, along with how often you plan on wearing it, and go from there. No need to overspend on features you won’t use or need.
Tips on Wearing Your Waist Trainer
I take pride in being honest, so I’m not going to sugar coat this. When you first put it on, it will be tight, and the fabric won’t be very stretchy but relax. As time goes on, the trainer will learn your body shape and it will get easier. For the first couple of times, plan to wear it around for a max of an hour or two.
By the end of the week, the waist trainer will have molded to your body shape, and you can wear it around. Let your body adapt to it. The max you should wear your waist trainer is 8 hours. While waist trainers are safe, it’s best to do it in moderation. You don’t want your body to depend on the waist trainer, and this could weaken your spine and core muscles.
Another tip for those of you getting your first waist trainer is you might want to wear a thin tank top underneath. This will allow you to wash the waist trainer less frequently (hand wash it), making it last longer and it can also prevent any friction with your skin. Especially if you have sensitive skin.
Also, when you first get the trainer to try to put it on for the first time in the morning when your stomach is at its flattest. If you try putting it on towards the end of the day, you could be bloated, you will have consumed some foods and liquid, and it might not be as successful as putting it on in the morning for the first time.
After you’re comfortable wearing your trainer and it’s molded to your body, wear it for 30 days straight to see how well the results are. The trainer only works if your consistent, so see how well it does for you by using it consistently for a month. The women who wear it consistently, see amazing results, and I want you to see amazing results too.
Lastly, there shouldn’t be any pain. If you have pain, there could be something amiss. It should feel more like a hug, and not painful. The first week will feel strange and you might be a bit sore, but that should go away.
Conclusion of Waist Trainers for Everyday Use
Waist trainers are a tool to help slim down the waist. But they aren’t a miracle tool that will work alone. They are to be used in conjunction with healthy nutrition and proper exercise. Additionally, the waist trainers are not intended to be a permanent fix for obesity or excess bodyfat. Again, nutrition and physical exercise are the two best things you can do to address those issues.
FAQ on Waist Trainers for Women
Do waist trainers actually work?
Waist trainers are more of a temporary adjustment. If long term slimming of the waist is the goal, nutrition and exercise will be more effective.
Does waist training flatten your stomach?
Waist trainers will only temporarily flatten your stomach. If permanent results are the goal, nutrition, calorie intake, and proper exercise will work better.
Are waist trainers dangerous?
Getting proper measurements so the waist trainer fits well is key. If you don’t choose the right size, you can hurt yourself. Like shoes, you may have to “break-in” your corset, but it shouldn’t be dangerously uncomfortable.
Can I sleep with my waist trainer?
No, you shouldn’t sleep with your waist trainer. It can damage the trainer as people move all around during the night and it can reduce the lifespan of the waist trainer.
Should I do ab workouts with the waist trainer?
No, don’t do any core workouts with the waist trainer. Your core muscles could depend on the trainer, and the muscles could weaken.