Is there anything more painful than a blister when trying to run, or for that matter, even trying to put on your running shoes in the first place?
That stinging, rubbing feeling can make running a real chore and in some cases can stop you from being able to run altogether. But is there a way to eliminate this pain? Is there a way to prevent blisters altogether? There is!
There are some brilliant socks on the market which can be a great way to assist in this. In this article, we are going to look at what causes blisters, prevention, and some of the best socks to prevent blisters when running (5 Reasons Why A Morning Run Is In Your Best Interest).
“I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days!”
My name is Nicole and I’ve been a personal trainer for years. I’m passionate about health and fitness. More importantly, I love helping people get the most out of life by eating right, exercising regularly, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
What Causes Blisters While Running?
Friction is what causes blisters while you’re running. You probably know that it’s ill-advised to get a new pair of shoes and go running a long distance. The reason is because of the friction on the foot rubbing on the shoe that hasn’t been broken in yet.
Another thing that can cause friction is different terrain. I’ve noticed that if I’m used to running on a treadmill or just through the neighborhood, and then switch it up to some hill running, the likelihood of getting blisters increases. The impact of going uphill or downhill can cause greater friction on either my toes or the back of my heel.
Excessive sweating or poor socks can cause blisters too. As your feet sweat the skin gets softer, increasing the chance of blisters. Additionally, if the socks you’re using don’t wick away sweat effectively, it just provides a greater opportunity for your feet to get overheated.
How to Prevent Blisters When Running
Now that we’ve discussed what causes blisters, I wanted to touch on a few things you can do to prevent blisters.
Get Proper Fitting Shoes
When you go running it’s common for your feet to swell up just a bit. It might be in your best interest to get a shoe (Best Cross Training Shoes) that is about a half-size bigger than your normal casual or dress shoes. Also, make sure you’re getting a shoe with a proper cushion. This will help with preventing blisters as well as making running much more enjoyable.
This works especially well if you’re breaking in new shoes and can spot a couple of places your shoe will cause friction on your foot. The amount of lubrication just needs to be minimal. You don’t want to be slipping and sliding too much within your shoe.
I learned this while I was out hiking actually. But Moleskin is about the perfect padding for spots that are starting to rub or you think might rub. Just a little square of it will help prevent the friction that causes blisters.
The Best Socks To Prevent Blisters When Running.
All of the following products can be found on Amazon, which not only makes them brilliant for all the ways that we are going to show you but also makes it super easy to order them and have them shipped directly to your door!
1) Oziiac Running Socks – These attractive looking socks come in a range of colors making them attractive for all tastes. Not only do these socks have a fantastic array of design elements that are sure to provide comfort and support but they are well-loved by many who have tried them out. With people saying that they are of excellent quality and durability, these socks will become your new go-to pair when out running. Let’s take a look at some of the features of this product.
Features & Benefits:
• Ideal for running, hiking, and many other sporting activities and are high endurance yet super comfortable.
• Designed to prevent blisters.
• Coolmax material helps prevent moisture which is a leading cause of blisters when running.
• Socks made for left and right feet, ensuring that they do not easily go out of shape.
• Rubberband support which wraps around the feet.
• Anti-friction and anti-slip material.
• Cushioned heels to prevent blisters.
2) Balega No Show, Hidden Comfort Running Socks – As with the previous product, these socks are great for all genders and come in an amazing selection of 19 different colors. Buyers have been flocking back to Balega time and time again since the brand has proven that their socks are guaranteed to help in the prevention of pain and blisters. Fans of the socks also state that they are just the right thickness for that added comfort. But looking good isn’t enough when it comes to performance, what do these socks have that makes them a cut above the rest?
Features & Benefits:
• Fully cushioned for extreme comfort and performance, giving you the freedom to run without constraint.
• These socks are extremely well ventilated and are designed to keep moisture away from the feet.
• The seamless toe is designed to stop friction on the top of the foot, further eliminating any pain.
• Heels are designed to stop the sock from slipping down.
• The socks have been tested in race conditions so you can be sure that they live up to their claims.
3) Balega No Show Silver Antimicrobial Compression Fit Running Socks – Another Balega product, which speaks for itself that the brand is featuring again. It has been said that these running socks are extremely comfortable to wear and this is why they are so popular. Users have stated that the cooling effect from the silver ion in the sock is super effective at keeping the feet odor-free and dry. It is also worth noting that in use, customers have not noticed any deterioration in the quality even after multiple wears. These sporty looking socks have a lot of benefits, so let’s take a look at some of these.
Features & Benefits:
• Antibacterial silver ion technology ensures that your feet stay free from odor and fully dry and clean during your workout.
• The knit of the socks varies in tension to provide the best support for the different areas of the foot.
• Designed to resemble the design of a running shoe, adding to the support.
• The seamless toe design minimizes the chance of getting a blister.
• Expertly crafted to ensure that you are getting nothing but quality.
4) Rockay Accelerate Running Socks Anti-Blister (Editor’s Choice) – The Rockay socks are a little more on the pricey side for each pair but there is a good reason for this, they have a huge variety of benefits and have been well received by many who have worn them. These amazing socks can be really useful to anyone suffering from diabetes, according to one of the many rave reviews on the product. Another user sang the praises of the ventilation system within the socks claiming that they no longer sweat whilst using these socks. The socks have made editor’s choice in Runner World and we think that really speaks volumes.
Features & Benefits:
• The socks are guaranteed for life, meaning that they are super durable and will not damage at all.
• Fully tested in the harshest conditions including obstacle courses.
• With today’s focus on the environment, you will be delighted to hear that these socks are made from 100% recycled materials.
• Ventilated to keep moisture away from the feet, therefore aiding blister prevention.
• Cushioned in the toe and heel, further adding to blister protection.
• A special coating means that the socks need to be washed less often.
5) Dimok Ankle Sports Sock – Our final pair of socks are by no means in last place in terms of performance. These socks are reasonably priced and come in a good range of colors. Customers have loved the socks and many have said how comfortable they are with one review of the socks stating that they are comparable to more pricey brands and do the same job! But let’s look a little deeper at what they can do.
• Extremely lightweight for extra comfort.
• Completely moisture absorbent, perfect for those long runs.
• Cushioning in the toe and heel for added blister prevention.
• Seamless design with added support.
• High heel to ensure that the socks do not slip during your run.
• These offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, which shows us that the brand is confident in their product.
“One run can change your day, many runs can change your life!”
Conclusion of Socks For Preventing Blisters
You hear it time and time again. Take care of your feet. If your feet are banged up, it really limits what you can do. Being proactive and doing things to prevent blisters vs having to treat them is much more conducive to a better life. So many of us can relate to the pain of a developing blister during our exercise, but why should this put a stop to reaching your goals? There is a great variety of running socks available which will greatly reduce your chances of developing a blister whilst running. These are five of the best socks to prevent blisters when running, so why not give some of them a try?
FAQ of Socks to Prevent Blisters
What are the best socks to prevent blisters?
Socks made of synthetic material to help wick away moisture will help prevent blisters when running.
Are cotton socks bad for blisters when running?
Yes, cotton will retain moisture when your feet get hot, and sweaty hot feet combined with friction can lead to blisters.
Are thin or thick socks better for preventing blisters?
A durable double-layer sock that helps wick away moisture are ideal for preventing blisters when running. The optimal thickness will vary for each runner and their shoe.
What kinds of socks do you use to prevent blisters when running? Leave a comment below.