In this post, I want to discuss why you should be exercising as well as give you a list of the best cross-training shoes for women with flat feet. Taking care of your feet is essential to having an enjoyable physical life.
My name is Nicole and I’ve been a personal trainer for years. I’m passionate about health and fitness. More importantly, I love helping people get the most out of life by eating right, exercising regularly, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
If you’re here you probably already know what flat feet are and what causes it, so I won’t go too much into discussing that aspect. If you feel like you might have flat feet or lack of arches I would advise you to consult a doctor.
Having flat feet can be painful and can be a major deterrent from wanting to get out and exercise. For those that have flat feet, you can be more likely to have excessive tension, soreness, and be susceptible to injury. So even if you want to go get some daily exercise in, opening yourself up to these kinds of injuries and discomfort is troublesome.
Fortunately, with modern technology the quality and types of shoes have expanded dramatically, making it easier to find something to fit your needs. I’ll get into some shoes created to help prevent these kinds of discomfort and pains a little bit later, but first I want to discuss the benefits of doing something like walking daily can do for you.
Benefits of Walking Daily
1) It helps prevent age-related diseases. Studies show that men over the age of 70, that walked at least 1/4 mile a day reduced their chances of getting Alzheimers and dementia.
2) It helps tone your muscles. This is kind of a no-brainer but walking daily, gives definition to calves, quads, and hamstrings while strengthening your glutes. Your glutes are a major muscle in helping you stabilize and balance your body.
3) It helps lower blood pressure. High blood pressure is the long-term force of blood pushing on your artery walls. This can lead to heart problems which are a major concern with women.
4) It improves mood. It’s amazing the physical benefits that walking can provide. But the benefits carry over into your mental health as well. Daily exercise of 30-45 minutes, 5 days a week has shown to lower feelings of sadness and depression.
5) It helps control weight. This might be the biggest reason people get into exercise. It’s no surprise that exercise burns off excess calories. Women who stick to a healthy diet and exercise routine find it significantly easier to maintain or lose body fat.
There are a ton of other benefits to exercise but I always want to do my due diligence in promoting a healthy lifestyle.
When I first started thinking about doing this post, I thought about focusing on running shoes, but I want to provide shoes that you can wear outside of just running or walking. Crosstraining shoes are a little more versatile and can be worn for more activities, and being the fitness enthusiast I am, I want to encourage any kind of fitness activity that you may enjoy. I personally don’t mind running or walking but I’m well aware that it’s not everybody’s favorite. So if you’re looking for the best cross-training shoes for women with flat feet, here we go…
5 Best Cross Training Shoes for Women With Flat Feet
1) ASICS Women’s GEL-Fit Sana 2 Fitness Shoe – Asics have been moving their way up in the world for providing a quality running shoe.
Their cross training shoes seem to be following suit. The GEL-Fit is lightweight with quality construction while providing superb comfort. Customers really appreciate the wider toe box which allows for weightlifting without being too loose. The mesh material allows your feet to breathe well, so you don’t get too hot while exercising.
2) Puma Tazon 6 – Puma is another world-known brand.
Besides their clothing line and accessories, their shoes have made leaps and bounds in the last few years. The Taxon 6 comes with breathable sock liners providing extreme comfort and proper fitting. The rubber sole provides a softness that can be enjoyed all day long, no matter if you’re just using them casually, hiking or lifting. Customers love the variety of colors they come in, making them easy to pair with your favorite workout gear.
3) Reeboks Women’s CROSSFIT Nano 6.0 Cross Trainer – Reebok has the money to do some solid research and development and it’s very apparent they know how to make a shoe for flat feet discomfort.
Their Crossfit Nano has a rubber sole that will provide a cushion and softness your feet will appreciate. The lightweight and flexibility make it a great shoe for those that love to cycle train, do high-intensity interval training, and the ample toe room provides great comfort, without looking to funky. Enough room to wiggle your toes without losing any grip.
4) Nike Women’s Flex Supreme TR 5 Cross Training Shoe – Again Nike is probably the most recognized shoe brand in the world and they want to stay that way by providing a shoe for everybody.
The Flex Supreme has foam pads on both sides of the heel to provide comfort and prevent heel movement. Mesh material provides air circulation, preventing your feet from becoming too sweaty and prone to blisters. The high-quality laces help the shoe stay tied together for those that love to do the side to side movements commonly found during HIIT. A small aspect, but a big inconvenience when you’re working out.
5) ASICS Women’s GEL-Noosa Tri 11 Running Shoe – to round out the list, I had to throw this shoe into the mix.
Asics has not only provided a shoe that helps relieve discomfort with flat feet, but they did it with style. I’ve seen these shoes at the gym and have inquired about them. They are a little more geared towards running and walking but they can be used as a cross-trainer as well. The people rave about the style (obviously) relief from planters fasciitis, and the snug fit. Nurses who are on their feet all day love these shoes, and the compliments!
Buying Shoes Online
I used to get my shoes at the stores as a kid and even in my 20’s. But as the retail apocalypse has hit, the stores are fewer and far between. And to me, this isn’t such as bad thing. I know what size of shoe I wear, and if for some reason a shoe doesn’t fit, I can just return it and get the correct size.
The last thing I wanted to mention about buying online is not having to deal with sales staff. I know they are just doing their jobs, but I really get tired of getting hounded to sign up for cards or sign up for loyalty programs.
Additionally, a lot of staff is paid on commission so they are constantly bringing me shoes to try on that are constantly out of my price range. I can’t tell if they have my best interest in mind or their own. Again, I know it’s their job to bring in money for the store, but after a while, it feels like constantly telling your kid NO.
Conclusion On Best Cross-training Shoes For Women With Flat Feet
As I mentioned above there are a ton of benefits to eating correctly and maintaining a daily exercise routine. Running and walking is a great place to start, but cross-training shoes allow for more physical activities that might appeal to you. No matter if you’re into hiking, biking, tennis, or weight lifting, cross-trainers might be just the thing you need to exercise in comfort.
I hope you take a close look at these shoes and find a shoe that will fit your needs, so you can start enjoying the benefits today.
FAQ of Cross Training Shoes
Are cross training shoes good for running?
Yes, the advantage of cross training shoes is their versatility. They can be used for running, walking, weight lifting, or any activity you’ll be exercising in.
How long do cross training shoes last?
It depends on the frequency, type, and intensity of your workouts. If you’re going hard, the cushioning will decrease and the wear&tear will become apparent. If this is the case a year is probably your max.
How to choose cross training shoes.
This will depend on the individual’s needs. Find a shoe that is comfortable, practical, and provides support for the activity you’ll be doing. Any foot conditions will need to be addressed as well.
Why cross training shoes?
Cross training shoes can be used for any exercise and are great for beginners. If you decide to pursue a certain type of exercise, at that time you can choose a shoe designed for that exercise. If you will be doing a variety of exercises, the cross trainer is ideal.
What is your favorite cross-trainers? Leave a comment below.