Spin bikes are a great way to get into a cardio routine. They help you with a complete cardio and strength workout, as they are used to strengthen both your upper and your lower body, while also burning fat.
Unfortunately, for short people, getting access to the right-sized spin bike is challenging.
This is especially true if you have a longer torso, short legs, and wish to work out in a gym that has a limited variety of spin bikes. Not all gyms have height-adjustable spin bikes, leaving you to either work without equipment or purchase one to use at home.
The best spin bike for a short person is going to be one that has a seat that will adjust down to a level that will fit your height, along with handlebars that will adust forward and backward to ensure the handlebars are appropriate for your size.
Even when you plan to buy a spin bike to work out at home, you have to be mindful of its features as it should be easy-to-use. So, how do you choose the best spin bike for a short person to use at home?
If you’ve read any of my other posts you’ll know that I try to stick to about 5 suggestions. This prevents getting too many options and it can become overwhelming. You’ll also notice that I don’t include any recumbent bikes on this list.
I feel like recumbent bikes serve a different person. Someone using a spin bike is looking for a little more of a workout and might even be using them in the winter when they can’t get out on their road bikes. Recumbent bikes are great, but I find it hard to burn as many calories and work the legs compared to a traditional spin bike. Anyway, this isn’t a recumbent vs spin bike (though let me know if you would like that information in the comments below) comparison.
So without further adieu, here is a review of the top 5 spin bikes, which may help you in your purchase decision.
Top 5 Spin Bikes For Short People
• This indoor bike from YOSUDA boasts of an adjustable handlebar, which you can move up and down to get the maximum comfort for your arms.
• It further has a 4-way adjustable seat, which could be moved up, down, front, and back. This allows the inside height to be adjusted between 25 inches and 35 inches.
• The 35-pound flywheel, along with an adjustable infinite resistance gives you the feeling of riding a real bike down the road.
• The adjustable seat makes it a valuable purchase for a short person, but not just that, if yours is a family that has people of all heights, you do not need to get separate bikes. Anyone can use it irrespective of their size.
• The bike is easy to assemble and takes less than an hour to do so. Also, its display monitor tells you how many calories you have burned.
• Thanks to its flywheels, it could be easily moved around. So, if you decide to change your gym room, go right ahead and move the bike.
• Specifically designed with flexible features, this spin bike sports 8 adjustable positions for its seat bracket, which supports heights ranging from 5 feet 1 inch to 6 feet 5 inches.
• Has a 36-pound flywheel, with pure wool brake pads that ensure zero noise when you are on it.
• Contains several security settings that make sure you always maintain the minimum safety height of the handlebars while using the adjustable resistance feature.
• It is a sturdy bike that could be easily moved around using the flywheels, with the added benefit of having a digital readout for tracking your workout sessions.
• It’s not only easy to assemble (in as less as 10 minutes) but also comes with extra parts such as bolts and wheel tension so that you have replacements handy when the initial parts wear out.
• Due to its adjustable seat and handlebar settings, it is suitable for the entire family to work out. The seat cushion provides the necessary comfort at every height.
• This indoor bike comes with a versatile seat that could be adjusted for any height. You can comfortably reach the pedals even if you are 5 feet 1 inch tall.
• It boasts of an adjustable magnetic resistance that could simulate several different terrains, emulating an outdoor bike-ride.
• The pedals have secure and adjustable straps that prevent your feet from slipping.
• The height adjustment for the seat is a standout feature. You could be comfortably seated even at the lowest height setting.
• The bike is easy to assemble with the bolts and the pieces are already placed where they should belong. Get it up and running in just a few minutes.
• It is a quiet bike that does not take up the entire room. Place it in any corner, making it great for those who live in smaller apartments.
• The display monitor placed on its soft handlebars allows easy tracking of your workout sessions.
• The bike offers a 4-way adjustable seat with an inseam height range between 25 inches and 38 inches. The handlebar is also 2-way adjustable and has an anti-skidding feature to provide better grip and comfort.
• A 35-pound flywheel is available for mimicking the on-road cycling experience, with the added assurance of felt pads for adjustable resistance.
• Its caged foot pedals not only ensure your feet do not slip during a workout but also let you change a pair of SPD pedals to clip in your spin shoes.
• The best part of this bike is that it sports several adjustable features. From the seats to the handlebars to the horizontal coverage, you can set the features as per your requirements.
• Assembling the bike is easy as the main parts come pre-assembled and all you need to do is attach the pedals, the seat, and the handlebar. The display monitor is built into the bike, too.
• The bike has a small footprint, so you could easily use it anywhere and store it, when space is limited.
5) MaxKare Stationary Bike Belt Drive Indoor Cycling Bike$$ (Editor’s Choice)
• Its height adjustment features have a wide range and could easily accommodate people as short as 4 feet 11 inches. The handlebar could be adjusted from 0 to 2.76 inches while the seat could be adjusted from 0 to 5.91 inches.
• The bike comes with transportation wheels to safely and easily tow it away when not in use.
• The ultra-quiet flywheel ensures your bike emits no sound even when you exercise vigorously while the adjustable resistance settings allow you to work out at different levels.
• Although it is a bit bulkier than some of the other spin bikes out there, the features are smooth and the height adjustments are easy to make. It could double up as a therapy bike as well.
• It comes semi pre-assembled, so setting it up is easier. Plus, its built-in LCD monitor ensures you keep track of your heart rate and other cardio metrics when working out.
• The sturdy bike is noise-free, so you could work out any time of the day, without worrying about waking the rest of your family, or worse, your neighbors.
What To Look For In a Spin Bike
1) Obviously, you’ll need to find one that will accommodate your height. If this is your first spin bike and you don’t fit the normal size requirements per manufactures users, this will be the biggest feature you’ll need to look for.
2) You also want to look for handlebars that adjust. Just like the distance to the pedals, you must look at the distance between the handlebars and the seat. This is especially true for people with a shorter wingspan. If the handlebars are not adjustable, you may find yourself overcompensating with your back, by leaning forward.
Leaning forward to will not only potentially lead to an uncomfortable ride, but it could also strain your body.
3) The seat adjustments are the next thing to be aware of. The back and forth is almost as important as the up and down. As mentioned above, being able to move the seat forward and backward will make the handlebar access much more conducive to your riding style.
4) Probably the last thing I would be conscious of is the handlebars themselves. A shorter person will most likely have slightly smaller hands, so you want the handlebars to accommodate this. It’s surprising how the size of the grips can impact your performance. An example might be going through monkey bars. If the bars are too big, your forearms strength gives way quickly and can ruin your performance.
What Is The Right Height
When you step into the spin bike your knee should only bend slightly, when the pedal is at its lowest point. The rule of thumb is the seat should be at your hip level.
By taking into consideration the aforementioned items, the spin bikes above should provide you with a great start.
Conclusion of Spin Bikes for Short Riders
Your short stature should not stop you from being healthy. But what good is a year-long gym membership if you are not even able to use any of their equipment? For the same price or lower, you could bring home the right kind of spin bike that fits your height.
Spin classes at the gym can be fun, but not when you are forced to use a bike that doesn’t fit. Instead, you’re left with using a bike that doesn’t fit you, or you end up choosing a different workout. With an adjustable home spin cycle, you could now work out regularly and enjoy the multitude of benefits of spinning.
The variety of spin bikes for short riders, at a reasonable price, is limited. Take your pick from the top 5 cycles reviewed above and begin to cherish good health for a long time.
What kind of spin bike do you use? Leave a comment below.